How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is serving 6.4 years in youth correctional facility

Customer Question

My son is serving 6.4 years in youth correctional facility after pleading guilty to second degree vehicular homocide . He has 2.10 years left to complete . After finishing his time , he will be on parole for 3 years and looses his driver's license for 5 years ( consecutive ). Is eligible to appeal his drivers license suspension and IDRC ? He completed every available drug program already .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
State of New Jersey
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel. At minimum 85% of a sentence must be served before release on Parole. That does not mean the Parole Board won't have a hearing, but it will delay the release until after he hits the 85% mark. I suggest you can contact the Parole Board and they can advise you of a Parole hearing date. It should come once he has served somewhere around 5 years. At current, it appears he has only served a little over 4.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
I also suggest that he try to have a job lined up for when he is released. That will give motivation to the Parole Board to release him. And he can request any requirement that his license be suspended be waived at least to a "hardship" license because he will need to get to work and medical appointments.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
The Parole Board can make that a part of his conditional release.