How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27722
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get a fine reduced to 290% if I can't work and haven't

Customer Question

Can I get a fine reduced to 290% if I can't work and haven't had any income for the last 2 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, You would have to have a lawyer petition the judge for a modification of your sentence. It would be up to the judge as to whether or not to grant such a motion. He has the discretion to reduce the sentence, but he also know that you agreed to pay it as part of the disposition. You should brainstorm with your lawyer what else you would agree to do -- such as a goodly amount of community service -- in lieu of the fine. You'd have a better chance if the petition offers an alternative to the fine. In the worst case scenario, what you can get, however, would be a significant lowering of your monthly payment that would be more commensurate with what you can afford to pay each month. Your lawyer can ask for that in the same petition. You can be made to pay your fine in full, but you cannot be made to pay it off in a monthly amount you are not capable of affording.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.