How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This occurred in 2007 to 2008 so I don't know if it's too

Customer Question

This occurred in 2007 to 2008 so I don't know if it's too late to address it legally. My sister made false allegations to the LAPD and I was arrested and held for several months, during which I lost my car and my job. I was subsequently declared factually innocent and all charges were dropped, but I continue to suffer till this day from traumatic stress disorder and am still undergoing psychotherapy.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: California in 2007 to 2008
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have been so emotionally distraught that I couldn't even do that. Right before the arrest my sister had kidnapped my elderly mother and had me evicted from my mom's house where I had lived with her for over 40 years. She made up lies in California and had had my powers of attorney revoked. Then in 2007 she again told lies to the police and I was arrested in Illinois and extradited to CA. My mother passed away in 2012 and I didn't even know it. I have been heart broken and in psychotherapy ever since all of this happened.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Only that in 2008 my sister found out where I was working as a teacher and I was told by human resources that she had called the administrative offices. Later that year, my contract was not renewed and I had always received favorable reviews from supervisors. I believe my sister was again fabricating things about me which caused me to lose my job.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the statute of limitations for a complaint of this type of claim is 2 years from the date it occurred. So, if you did not take action within 2 years of the date of the incident, legally I am afraid the complaint would be time barred.