Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

I have an issue with a neighbor accusing me of something I

Customer Question

I have an issue with a neighbor accusing me of something I didn't do and would like to discuss.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 27 years. Let me know what your questions are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi.
How can I help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been having issues with my neighbor for about 5 years. I have called the police to come out and help deal with the issue several times. Today, my neighbor put up a big ugly fence in his backyard. Because I'm part of an association, if a neighbor does something like that, the policy is that you are supposed to take pictures and file a complaint. So, that's what I did. I took pictures of his fence in order to file a complaint. 30 minutes later, the police showed up at my door and accused me of taking pictures of his 'minor' daughter who was sunbathing and said that legally I'm in a lot of trouble. I need to understand this better from a legal perspective.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, this particular police officer fully took my neighbors side and was very threatening toward me. Every time I said something, he kept saying I was digging myself a bigger hole.
If you were taking pictures of the fence, then you have proof you were doing that and not taking pictures of the neighbor's daughter.
If you had done something wrong, the police officer would have arrested you then. He was trying to get you to admit something by talking to you that way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree. I showed the pictures I took of the fence to the police officer and his response was 'how do I know that you didn't just see my car in the front and quickly delete the pictures of his daughter?"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should I do about this situation? Should I get an attorney and do something pre-emptively?
Again, he was trying to get you to admit something you did not do.
It depends on how the police officer left it. Did he say he wanted to interview you further? If so, I would consult with an attorney. I can give you a resource in your area to find an attorney.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He told me that a civil work was going to come out to interview my wife and I and then my neighbor. He said that if my wife indicates that she is 'mad' that I've called the cops on him or if she doesn't fully back my story up then 'my ship is sunk and I'm in a world of trouble'. Given that sort of threat, what should I do as I'm waiting to hear from whoever?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The way he left is he said this matter if far from over and a civil worker would be coming out to interview me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said that he was going to talk to the neighbor and share with him all of the things that I said that didn't add up and then the neighbor has every right to press charges or take civil action against me, in which case I would be arrested.
Here is a link to the Illinois Bar Association Legal Referral Program: http://www.illinoislawyerfinder.com/phone-referralYou can get a 30 minute consultation with a lawyer for $25.I think you should speak with an attorney before you do anything else.Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate my service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I should be doing preemptively about this?
consult an attorney.