Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was recently arrested and I went to court Abuse & assult

Customer Question
I was recently arrested and...
I was recently arrested and I went to court for Spousal Abuse & assult with a deadly weapon. I have an arraignment coming up and I don't know what that exactly means or what will happen to me. This is my first time offense, I have never been in trouble before.
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I've contacted some but they're just so expensive and being a single mom of 3, I really can't afford it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: Just that the victim is 6 feet and in 5'2" and the last lawyer I spoke to, he said it can turn into a self defense case.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/21/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Good afternoon: My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. I understand that this may be a difficult time for you and I hope that the general information I can provide here will be of use to you. May I ask, in what state would this matter be pending in?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
CA state
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was working for the CA state prison but was let go due to not notifying my higher ups of my arrest. I am going in for an interview with UCLA. I was wondering if this will show up on my background check? I have court this up coming Wednesday.
Ok, thank you for that information. Now, essentially, an arraignment if the formal proceeding in which a defendant enters their formal plea of guilty or not guilty. When someone pleads not guilty at the arraignment hearing, that triggers what is called discovery. Discovery is the process in which the DA provides all the evidence they have against a charged individual for them to review and ultimately go to trial with (if the defendant does indeed choose to go to trial). You are asking a couple of different, unrelated questions, so I want to pause for a moment and see if you have any questions based on what I have provided thus far.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I plead not guilty when I got released on OR and had court that day but this Wednesday is my arraignment. I don't know what to expect but I know I can't afford to have any charges with wanting to go through nursing school and working in a hospital type setting.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think any chance of it getting rejected or dismissed?
If you would like, we can discuss over the phone for an additional fee wherein I can provide general information to all of your questions as they pop up. Would you like this option? Or would you like to continue here.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The evidence they have are some pictures that took of him with superficial Marks but they didn't take any pictures of me when the police was there.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Continue here.
I will opt-out of this question thereby opening it up to another expert. It appears that you have multiple questions which will take quite some time to fully answer based on the nature of the questions and I unfortunately must step away from my computer. You will be greeted by a new expert shortly and they will be able to assist you. Thank you and good luck!
Ely, Counselor at Law