How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can police enter someone's apartment and check on the mental

Customer Question

Can police enter someone's apartment and check on the mental stability of a person? If you ask them to if you have reasons to believe your son has some mental issues and you haven't heard from him in months. Also he hasn't contacted any of his friends. He won't let his family or friends in but he does come to the window. He pushed a letter under the door and within the letters said he's mentally unstable and gets severe anxiety.
JA: OK. The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No we haven't. So a lawyer could help us?
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: He lives with his girlfriend who has been in care until she turned 21 in February. Her behaviour is very bizarre and she came out yelling to leave them alone. She has strange ideas about them living in a camper with no money and while she's telling us this very loudly my son was shaking and crying behind her. This was when we were able to get into the apartment in March. My son Murray's behaviour has completely changed. He has quit work stopped coming home for visits has told us in that letter he's not part of our family anymore. We are a close family and this isn't like him at all. He even stopped coming to see his son who lives in our community of Cross Lakw where we live.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am going to prepare a response for you. It will take me about 10 minutes. If you tell me what state you are in, I may be able to give you resources in your area.
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
The police can respond to 911 calls indicating a person is a threat to themselves or other people. They can enter someone's home if it is life or death emergency or if they have probable cause to believe a crime is being committed inside the home.If you think your son is a threat to himself, then you can call upon the police. You would have to provide them with specific details showing how he may harm himself. They would want to know about his behaviors and things he has said recently that may give them probable cause to believe he may harm himself.Here is a website for a wonderful support organization called NAMI or the National Alliance on Mental Illness: have helped me with my own family struggles with mental illness. My daughter suffered from severe mental illness and is now well again. What you need most is to find support in an agency like NAMI so you may help your son to get help.Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my assistance, please rate my service.