How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29977
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend that is accused of taking money from her grandfather

Customer Question

i have a friend that is accused of taking money from her grandfather and grandmother bank and the other from their social security check not sure how much but about 8-9 hundred maybe not sure also she is accused of trying to order things in grandmother name and social security number about maybe 600 worth not sure about that either, but she has no priors and they are claiming they have her on camra, hom much time and how long before they try and arrest her
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: well they told us to not talk to anybody it and to call once she was contacted, but if they supposedly had her on video wounldnt they have just arrested her
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and how much time is she looking at can she just use a public defender and still get good results, like no jail time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anyway for me to find out whats going on
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your friend's situation. Given the amount that your friend is accused of taking, it's possible they won't arrest her at all. They may simply send her a Notice to Appear in court so a judge can explain the charges. At the hearing date, the judge will appoint a lawyer for her if she cannot afford one, and then the judge will release her until the trial. Most people do not have to go to jail before trial for minor offenses. They have until the statute of limitations expires to decide whether to proceed with charges - that's at least a year in every state. Chances are, she'll be notified in about a month, but it depends on how busy the courts are. The lawyer you spoke to is correct that she doesn't have to talk to anybody. It is extremely unlikely that police or the DA would talk to you, as a friend. They might talk to her, but it's not in her best interests to talk to them. She can use a public defender if she meets the financial qualifications, which vary by location. She can talk to someone from the public defender's office at the first court date. It is possible to avoid jail time, especially if she has no prior offenses and is willing to repay the money.

Related Criminal Law Questions