Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My wife and I are residents of Florida. We have had

Customer Question
Hello, my wife and I...
Hello, my wife and I are residents of Florida. We have had physical violence in our marriage: My wife committed battery 3 times against me within the last 1yr - 1 1/2 years. I did not press charges. After this, I grabbed her phone and her arm (allegedly) and she had me arrested; I have been going through Pre-Trial Diversion, FavorHouse DVI program, and other counseling...to do my part. and, we are separated via injunction. She continues to escalate the violence, verbally with threats of Police and such for whatever reason.
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I want to know about pressing charges now, because she actually punched me twice in the face and slapped me on another occasion during a conversation. Statute of Limitations?
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Statute of LImitations for Battery?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/17/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Good afternoon: My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. The question regarding the Statute of Limitations depends on the nature of the charges. Because Domestic Violence, specifically Battery here as the underlying action, would constitute a first degree misdemeanor, the Statute of Limitations is two years from when the incident occurred (as is the case with most other first degree misdemeanors). Any questions based on this? If so, please ask and I would be happy to clarify what I have provided. If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and do not get credited for assisting until the individual clicks ACCEPT and rates the assistance provided. Your cooperation in this regard is appreciated. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was authorized a 1-time visit to my home, to pick up personal items and "tools of the trade." Police here said that my computer (which I use for my business, Travel RN, and retain all education and certifications are on computer:
Also, I have court in 1 week, on 24 May to defer a Home Forclosure Sale, and ALL documentation of my home, My IRS, and Banking correspondences are on computer. Police said it was ok, when questioned.I took computer to obtain information. My wife got mad, and went to State Attorney about this. Am I right/wrong in this issue?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The computer was broke, I paid $99.00 to get fixed. Got my documentation and returned "Fixed PC" 2 days later.
Are you asking if you committed any offense based on entering the home to obtain your property?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
NO. I "was authorized" by Court, to go to home, escorted by Sheriff. I got my stuff and left. Now, she is going/has went to State Attorney (her assigned Atty) to protest. Sheriff said, "If you use this for your business/or trade, there is not a problem ." I want clarification of this, and if there is any worry.???
As long as you had court permission to enter the premises and were escorted by sheriffs (as is required) then no crime has occurred and you cannot be held accountable for any criminal violation. On top of that, since the sheriffs were there, there are witnesses that would support your position that nothing criminal occurred and would counter any allegations that she has made. The State's Attorney's Office knows the above (that you had an order to enter the premises AND that sheriffs were present). This would make her story (whatever it may be) to the prosecutors less credible.
essentially, there is nothing to worry about as a result of her "allegations" whatever they may be.
I see you have read my response. I hope the information provided was helpful. If you have questions on what I provided, please ask. If not, please remember to click ACCEPT and rate as that is the only way experts here can be credited. Thank you.
Since you have no other questions, I assume that my information indeed has been helpful. Please remember to comply with the Terms of Service agreed upon by clicking ACCEPT.
Please remember to click ACCEPT and rate the assistance provided as I have assisted with two of your questions. Thank you.
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer