How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9389
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with damage to property of the 4th degree for

Customer Question

I was charged with damage to property of the 4th degree for slashing a tire while I was drunk. Have court next month will I get jail time for this? Or pay restitution?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. This is a misdemeanor, see 3.Misdemeanor."Misdemeanor" means a crime for which a sentence of not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $1,000, or both, may be imposed. So I am sorry but the answer is yes, you could be sent to jail for this, and voluntary intoxication is not a defense. However, if you have no prior convictions it is very likely that you would be sentenced to a fine, restitution, and probation. You can make an offer to plead guilty to this on condition that you are not sentenced to jail, and the prosecutor is likely to go along with that type of plea agreement. You can get a free consultation from some of the defense attorneys listed by location here. If you cannot afford an attorney, the Court has to appoint one for you upon request. Please follow up on this with a local attorney. I hope this information is helpful.