Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If my wife wishes to have a gun in the house and I was convicted…

If my wife wishes to...
If my wife wishes to have a gun in the house and I was convicted of a non violent white collar felony 40 years age may she in arizona
5/14/2016
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.What, exactly, where you convicted of?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
false entry to bank record federal court 1 year sentence 1974
Unfortunately, you may not possess a firearm, even though it was a white collar offense so long ago. Your wife, however, may, but since you obviously live together, this can be tricky. If she keeps the firearm in a place where you have access to it, you can be considered to be in possession of it just the same as she is. The only way to safely possess a firearm in a situation like this is for it to be locked up in a gun safe that only she has access to. Otherwise, you could be in possession of it, which is a crime.
I'm sorry, but I cannot take a phone call at time time.
Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The reason for this at this time is her daughter, a step daughter wishes to get involved in mounting shooting. I am 78 years of age in excellent health, we sleep in seperate bedrooms, we can get a secure gun safe which is a good idea anyway, keep in her room, this is a non drinking drug household so the security at hom,e should take care of it, I just also will not be able to travel
with them going to the events, probably do not care to. with the daughter being a teenager it is a good idea to have everything in the gun safe anyway. Are we Doing better. Lee
Yes, what you've described is a good way to protect yourself, while your wife is still able to possess a firearm and participate with her daughter. I think just keeping the gun locked up in a safe you do not have access to is all you need to do.
If I can't do anything else for you, please "rate" my answer before you go (that's how I get credit for my work).
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
LawTalk, Lawyer
Phone call session started
Good evening, Please let me know what will be a good time to call you. I am prepared to discuss all issues of gun ownership with you. Before I call you and in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. Just so I have no misunderstanding, the fact is that you were charged in a US Federal court of a federal crime, convicted of a felony under federal law and you were sentenced to one year in federal prison?2. Did you actually report to federal prison---even if it was not for the full sentence?3. Have you ever sought a Presidential Pardon since your conviction?Doug
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer