Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If my wife wishes to have a gun in the house and I was convicted…

If my wife wishes to...
If my wife wishes to have a gun in the house and I was convicted of a non violent white collar felony 40 years age may she in arizona
5/14/2016
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.What, exactly, where you convicted of?
false entry to bank record federal court 1 year sentence 1974
Unfortunately, you may not possess a firearm, even though it was a white collar offense so long ago. Your wife, however, may, but since you obviously live together, this can be tricky. If she keeps the firearm in a place where you have access to it, you can be considered to be in possession of it just the same as she is. The only way to safely possess a firearm in a situation like this is for it to be locked up in a gun safe that only she has access to. Otherwise, you could be in possession of it, which is a crime.
I'm sorry, but I cannot take a phone call at time time.
Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.
The reason for this at this time is her daughter, a step daughter wishes to get involved in mounting shooting. I am 78 years of age in excellent health, we sleep in seperate bedrooms, we can get a secure gun safe which is a good idea anyway, keep in her room, this is a non drinking drug household so the security at hom,e should take care of it, I just also will not be able to travel
with them going to the events, probably do not care to. with the daughter being a teenager it is a good idea to have everything in the gun safe anyway. Are we Doing better. Lee
Yes, what you've described is a good way to protect yourself, while your wife is still able to possess a firearm and participate with her daughter. I think just keeping the gun locked up in a safe you do not have access to is all you need to do.
If I can't do anything else for you, please "rate" my answer before you go (that's how I get credit for my work).
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
LawTalk, Lawyer
Phone call session started
Good evening, Please let me know what will be a good time to call you. I am prepared to discuss all issues of gun ownership with you. Before I call you and in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. Just so I have no misunderstanding, the fact is that you were charged in a US Federal court of a federal crime, convicted of a felony under federal law and you were sentenced to one year in federal prison?2. Did you actually report to federal prison---even if it was not for the full sentence?3. Have you ever sought a Presidential Pardon since your conviction?Doug