How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wide has a restraining order against me but filed taxes

Customer Question

My wide has a restraining order against me but filed taxes used my social security number and forged my signature without my consent her mother is her tax agent and filed the paperwork without me and while having the restraining order how do try to get charges pressed against them
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I'm looking to see if I can hire one.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best.
Customer: My wife filed for divorce and restraining order I was served October 22 2015, after a month we started to try to work on our relationship she kept making excuses to remove the restraining order so her H&R B sends me an email about a appointment that my wife's mother set up on her own the day was February 6, I couldn't make it because I was
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: At work so after a while I noticed that the federal refund was deposited into out account the refund was over 5000 and 400 state. She told me that she signed my named and did all the tax filling her mother being a professional knowing we have or divorce and restraining order accepted and filed the papers that were forged We have 4 kids together and I don't think it's right for them to do this to me and get away with it due to my wife blackmailing that if I take them to court I will lose because she's says that her parents have money and they can afford good lawyer's
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I have been an attorney for 27 years and a prosecutor for 9 years. It is important that you report this to the IRS. Besides the forgery, your wife and her mother could have filed false information. If you don't challenge this, you could be in trouble and charged with Tax Fraud if you don't report their actions.Here is the process from the IRS:"If you suspect tax fraud or know of an abusive return preparer, report this activity using IRS Form 3949-A, Information Referral. You can download Form 3949-A from the Web site at or call 1-***-***-**** to order by mail. Send the completed form, or a letter detailing the alleged fraudulent activity, to Internal Revenue Service, Fresno, CA 93888. Please include specific information about who you are reporting, the activity you are reporting and how you became aware of it, when the alleged violation took place, the amount of money involved and any other information that might be helpful to an investigation. Although you are not required to identify yourself, it is helpful to do so. Your identity can be kept confidential. You may also be entitled to a reward."I suggest that you do identify yourself. The IRS will investigate this. One of the ways they can establish that you did not sign the return is through hand writing analysis. They will take samples of your handwriting and study the signature on the tax forms.Here is form 3949-A: let me know if I can help further. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me.