How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiance is incarcerated at Allen correctional

Customer Question

My fiance is incarcerated at Allen correctional for involuntary manslaughter. He was sentenced almost 22 years ago at the age of 16. Shouldn't he be able to get parole? He has about 3 to 5 years good time.
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: We have been trying to find one but money is a concern. At 16 he was never read Miranda also.
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: He has 9 different certificates, is a mentor for young prisoners and is in the honor dorm and president of the drama club.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, he is entitled to release under good time. However, while good time may reduce his sentence total time, his eligibility for parole is up to the parole board itself (unless his sentence was without eligibility for parole, which you need to check). So, he has to file his application to the parole board for parole and ask them to hear his case as to why he should be released. If he has done everything you stated above that would be good reason to come before the parole board.
If he does not have an attorney any longer, you can contact the public defender's office for assistance if you cannot afford to get him one to assist in his appearance before the parole board.