How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26738
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If someone was given another person's prescription medicatio

Customer Question

If someone was given another person's prescription medication while the first person was completely intoxicated, who would get into legal trouble?
JA: OK. The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I wanted to know if there was somewhere I could find out who would get in trouble because the first person is an alcoholic but not a drug addict & was tricked into taking it.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The first person is now getting help for the alcoholism but is afraid that this will mess up getting her kids back from CPS. The kids were taken due to domestic violence from their father who is pending charges.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Can you be a little more specific about what happened here and put your question into context?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a close friend who went drinking with someone else. My friend was given a narcotic when she was already intoxicated. She wants to turn in the other person but doesn't want to risk getting her kids back.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. It is not illegal to drink -- even to excess -- so long as you are at least 21, do not drive while intoxicated, or are not court-ordered to refrain from drinking, such as when you are on probation. It IS, however, illegal, to slip someone who is drunk a narcotic, and that person should be reported. If the first person was a chronic drinker but is now getting help for alcoholism, that help and continued sobriety is what the court will be most interested in, when your friend tries to get her kids back. If she stays on the wagon her former alcoholism and the fact that she was a complainant on a criminal matter should not hurt her over the long haul.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Criminal Law Questions