TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

My brother in law and my sister took out a life insurance policy

Customer Question

My brother in law and my sister took out a life insurance policy on me without my consent and forged my name. This was done thru his own insurance office. The way I found out because his company sent me a confirmation on address change on this 150,000 whole life policy. They were paying on it for little over 1 year when I asked them about it my sister admitted it and then stopped paying on it. I never signed for it or authorized it. The company is doing investigation and they are making trouble for me now. Please give me some advice thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

The first thing you should do is report this to the police for forgery. It is, obviously, a crime for someone else to sign your name to a document of this nature.

However, there isn't much for you to do regarding a lawsuit against them. In order to bring suit, you must show that you were harmed in some way. While it may be strange and bothersome to you that your relatives took out a secret life insurance policy on you, you were not directly harmed by it. Also, another reason to report it to the police is that the insurance company may include that in their final report. The fact that you made a police report helps them determine that you were not a party to the fraud.