Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can a sex offender be pardoned? And how?

Customer Question
can a sex offender be pardoned? And how?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/10/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 27 years and I was a prosecutor for 9 years. Please give me about 10 minutes to prepare a response for you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay
thank you
Under the Mississippi Constitution all people convicted of any crime, except treason and impeachment, may petition the governor of the state to grant a pardon. A person must first be sentenced and must wait at least 7 years to apply. The governor usually asks the parole board to investigate the application and must inform the victim of the crime. The victim has the right to object and give comment. Here is the pardon (clemency) application. http://www.recordclearing.org/wp-content/forms/Mississippi-Pardon-Application.pdf This is authority of the governor is found in Section 124. Here is a quote from the Miss Constitution:“Reprieves and PardonsIn all criminal and penal cases, excepting those of treason and impeachment, the governor shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons, to remit fines, and in cases of forfeiture, to stay the collection until the end of the next session of the legislature, and by and with the consent of the senate to remit forfeitures. In cases of treason he shall have power to grant reprieves, and by and with consent of the senate, but may respite the sentence until the end of the next session of the legislature; but no pardon shall be granted before conviction; and in cases of felony, after conviction no pardon shall be granted until the applicant therefore shall have published for thirty days, in some newspaper in the county where the crime was committed, and in case there be no newspaper published in said county, then in an adjoining county, his petition for pardon, setting forth therein the reasons why such pardon should be granted.”Please let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate my service.
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady