How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27716
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had stole only DVDs and that's it from Walmart. It was

Customer Question

Hi, I had stole only DVDs and that's it from Walmart. It was less than $100 I was caught yesterday. I have a clean record and want to know what will happen to me. I am graduating from Pearl River Community College and plan on attending Mississippi state university and I promise to them and to you that it will never happen again a different person was just inside of me and I had lost my father and I was really upset about it I know peopleake mistakes and I promise you that I will not make this mistake ever again. I want to know what could happen to me it's my first offense of shoplifting and I will never do it ever again. I learned my lesson and I promise to better my life which I am doing now graduating from college and plan on attending Mississippi state.
JA: OK. The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No this just happened yesterday
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: No that's all that happened other then I told you that I'm graduating from Pearl River Community College and plan on attending Mississippi state.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, If your record is a clean one, which it seems to be, you should be able to come out of this without a criminal record. There are diversion types of programs for which you would be eligible, whereby you would agree to be supervised by the department of probation. During that time you'd pay fines, do some community service, possibly take anti-shoplifting classes, and stay out of further difficulty with the law. If you accomplish all of that successfully, your case would be dismissed and you would not have to carry a conviction around on your record. There are easier and quicker ways to resolve this. You could plead guilty or no contest and pay a fine, for example. But then you would have a misdemeanor theft conviction on your record, which can hinder you both personally and professionally. Future employers, for example, tend not to want to hire people who steal, even on a misdemeanor level. So it's worth the time and trouble to go through the supervision and special conditions to avoid a conviction in the first place. Although a diversion type of disposition is one for which you would be eligible, and although it is a typical solution for this type of a case, it may have to be negotiated for you. That's because if the prosecutor doesn't agree to it, you can't get it. Therefore it's best that if you can afford a lawyer, have him with you on your first court date to help you dispose of the case in this or some other way that keeps your record clean. If you're unable to afford a lawyer, you can just plead not guilty to the charges and ask the court for a public defender.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.