How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27695
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have a misdemeanor warrent can I get a drivers license

Customer Question

If I have a misdemeanor warrent can I get a drivers license in another state
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I am in idaho on a drug court probation that us going to last 15 months. I am thinking of just doing my time instead which the judge unsuspended 152 days, but my probation officer said it is 180 days. I am not sure who to believe.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: O had a dui on 10/28/25 and I has a probation violation drinking alcohol and a new charge of driving on a suspended license. The judge only unsuspended the 152 days on the dui charge. And the judge didn't mention the any of the suspended days on the new charge. I was wondering if I have to do152 days or 180? Plus thinking of leaving the state because it's a misdemeanor but I need a drivers license in the state I would be moving to.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, You cannot obtain a driver's license anywhere in the country, if the DMV runs your history, which they will, and becomes aware of the warrant. In fact, it is possible that while you're waiting they will alert the authorities to pick you up on that warrant. I don't have enough information to reconcile the discrepancy between the judge and probation as to how much time you'd actually have to do if you choose to complete your sentence in jail instead of on probation. I'd need access to the court papers and your records, which I cannot get. It is only safe to say that regardless of what the judge and probation says, the official reckoning of your time is done by the Department of Corrections and that, until then, you know the best and worst that it could be. Have your lawyer look into that. In that way, if your release date is incorrect, he can get you back before the judge on a writ to get them to prove that their calculations are correct or release you.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.