Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My brother and his wife have been separated years. They

Customer Question
My brother and his wife...
My brother and his wife have been separated for 10 years. They have not yet divorced and have one son between them. His wife left the house and moved into an apartment. My brother retained the home and their son lives with him. For the past 10 years, he has paid the mortgage and all related bills on the house. He does all the maintenance, housekeeping, yard work, etc. She stopped contributing to those things when she left him. As their son is now 21, my brother now wants to go ahead with a divorce, sell the house, and move on with his life. She is demanding that he pay her $10,000 from the sale of the house to compensate her for their years of marriage. Of course, he doesn't think she's entitled but I'm not sure he has a legal leg to stand on since, even though they haven't been together in 10 years, in the eyes of the law they are still married. They married when the child was 2, so that would be 19 years ago. Does he have any legal obligations to her?
JA: Divorce can be tough for everyone involved, but arming yourself with accurate information is key to taking charge of a situation. For starters, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed in court yet?
Customer: No
JA: Divorce is seldom "one size fits all", so I recommend you spend a little time with one of the legal eagles we work with. It would be my pleasure to match you with the best fit. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I offered to pay for it as he says he can't afford it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/6/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.Which state? Is the wife's name on the title?
Are you online with me?
Ely, Counselor at Law