How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 38895
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend, resident of Marina del Ray, CA is requested to appear

Customer Question

My friend, resident of Marina del Ray, CA is requested to appear 05/17/16 at the Airport Courthouse, 11701 South La Cienega Blvd. 90045. She was arrested at Wholefoods for not presenting all items for payment. estimated $100 or less.
She is unemployed. Medical procedures since early 2015 have taken all her savings. She was born in 1960 in Korea. Does she have to find a Public Defender or will one be assigned prior to the court date?
My name is Horst
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, If the defendant is impoverished, and needs a lawyer, the court will appoint a public defender. Your friend needs to request appointment of legal counsel before she enters a plea. "Your honor, I have no money and I need an attorney," should be the first words out of your friend's mouth at the initial hearing. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!