Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How can one bet conspiracy charges??

Customer Question
How can one bet conspiracy charges??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/1/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Hello, There is a typo in your question. What is it that you are asking? Are you asking how will you get a conspiracy charge?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can u beat one
Thanks for clarifying. Without knowing what evidence the government has against you, I can only speak in general. However, basically, in order to find you guilty of conspiracy, a jury must believe beyond a reasonable doubt that your actions furthered the illegal enterprise somehow, for example, you were involved in the planning, the cover up, drove the getaway car or organized the illegal act. If the government cannot link you to anything like that, the prosecutor would not meet his burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt and you would have to be acquitted of the charges. Mere presence at the scene of a crime is not enough to convict you. It would be the job of the defense lawyer to try to cast doubt on the facts linking you to the crime. That can be done any number of ways, but it's dependent on the facts and circumstances that the state alleges and that comes out before the jury on the stand. Can you beat a conspiracy charge? It's possible. How likely it would be I cannot say. But typically the evidence is strongest against the principal actors and can be much less so against at least some of the conspirators. So just because a co-conspirator faces the same possible penalties as the person who actually committed the crime, doesn't mean he can't get his case dismissed or get a much more favorable plea bargain.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD