How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My job just accused me of stealing 450 dollars. I have proof

Customer Question

My job just accused me of stealing 450 dollars. I have proof where I took the money out of the ATM. But beacuse I keep my wallet downstairs she is threatening to have me arrested. What should I do
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best.
Customer: I took 400 dollars out my account yesterday. Someone has stolen from me before, so I keep my wallet at my register. So she say she have video of me taking the money. Which I didn't.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: And threatened me to have me arrested
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 26 years and I was a prosecutor for 9 years. I am preparing a response for you now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
The first thing you need to do is get your written documentation in order. Get your bank records showing how much money you had in the bank and what you withdrew. If you can show you withdrew the money that day prior the camera images showing you taking money from you wallet you will be OK.You said you always keep your wallet next to the register. Ask your boss to review the camera footage several days prior to this. Think of when you put your wallet next to the register. Is it when you start work? If so, ask your boss to look at those times.Also, how does your boss account for money at the register? Is there a count prior to you working at the register? Is there a receipt for this? When ringing up items, is the money from customers registered? Ask to check into this. Ask in writing to have your boss do all of these things.If she goes to the police she will need this evidence to show it was her money (not your money) on the camera.
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
If you tell me what state you are in and I will look up the possible penalties if she goes to the police.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Under Florida law Section 812.014 this is considered grand theft in the 3rd Degree, which is a felony. Here is what the law says:Theft.—(1) A person commits theft if he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently:c) It is grand theft of the third degree and a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, if the property stolen is:1. Valued at $300 or more, but less than $5,000.If convicted of this you may face a fine of $5,000
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Prison time could be up to 5 years.
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
You may want to consult a criminal lawyer
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Do you want me to give you information on where you can find a lawyer in your area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to the FL Bar Association Legal Referral Service. You can get a 1/2 consultation with a criminal lawyer for $25. let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my help today, please rate my service.