How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34529
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got charged with a violent felony I did not commit. I met

Customer Question

I got charged with a violent felony I did not commit. I met with my retained attorney one time before I had gotten a chance to see what the evidence against me was. We didn't discuss the facts of the case at all. He went and got me a violent misdemeanor plea bargain and is telling me to take it. Is this pretty standard as fair as criminal defense attorneys go?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

It is standard for the attorney to help negotiate a plea agreement...but, frankly, most all criminal charges result in a plea agreement.

In your case, the real question is "what evidence does the state have". IF they have a tough case (not much evidence, no confession)? Then it may be worth considering taking to trial and making the state prove your guilt.

But if the state has a strong case? Frankly...the deal you describe (dropping from felony to misdemeanor) is a good deal

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Related Criminal Law Questions