How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3987
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In January, my husband was busted by the Kentucky State Police

Customer Question

In January, my husband was busted by the Kentucky State Police and charged with 20 counts of viewing downloading and distrubiting child porn. He was in jail for 6 weeks until his dad bailed him out. We have 2 children, one of whom has since turned 18. DCFS steped in and gave a no contact order and there has been none. Our almost 10 year old son has special needs and that has caused some confusion as we cant tell him everything. DCFS is now saying that they want to close out the case which could allow contact to resume. I am trying to protect my youngest child from a messed up game of musical chairs!
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. My estranged spouse has a lawyer but I dont. He has been living in a hotel,since he could not live in the same home with a protective order
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: He is retired from the Army with PTSD and a TBI and a 30-some year secret of child molestation himself.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. I am very sorry that you are having these troubles.Can you tell me what your goals are at this point? Do you want to have your husband return to the home? or are you looking to divorce and need information about support and property settlement? I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,I dont want him to return to the home. I am trying to protect my youngest son (and even older son) from any further emotional trials. His Trial will not be until the end of August so it would be like emotional musical chairs. I think it will probably lead to divorce but Im not at that point just yet. I want to see what will happen with the trial first.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I think that is a very wise approach. You still should contact a family law attorney to help you with the paper work. Also you want to get into a position to protect your rights to your share of the property and your share of his military pension if there is one. This does not mean that you necessairly have to file for divorce. But you can move to a "legal separation" arrangement. With a legal separation you can extend the protection order. You can also arrange for spousal and child support. Also you can protect your share of the assets from any claims made by the State against your husband's assets. If you can not afford an attorney you may be able to get assistance from Kentucky Legal Aid at no cost, or get a referaal to a pro bono attorney. Given your son's special needs you should be able to obtain some assistance in this process. These resources may be beneficial to you in finding counsel and obtaining additional information on a legal separation: I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you. If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck, Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it is easier to discuss these things directly. If you would like a phone call to discuss this I can arrange that. Although it is a premium service I will try to keep the costs down for you. It isn't a necessity, and I do not want you to spend additional money if it is not necessary. But it is an option for you.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Otherwise we can continue to post. Or if you are satisfied please click the five stars to rate me. Thank you.Kind regards,Gerald