Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I had a friend get a misdemeanor citation two days ago for

Customer Question
having paraphernalia in her glove...
I had a friend get a misdemeanor citation two days ago for having paraphernalia in her glove compartment.....she lives in TN....she is 48 years old and has no criminal record.......What does she need to do?
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: she said the cops told her she does not need a lawyer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/24/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Hello.I'm sorry to hear about your friend's situation. Possession of paraphernalia is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and/or a fine of $2500. It is very unlikely that she would get a jail sentence for a first offense like this. However, I would disagree that she doesn't need a lawyer. Because the charge carries the possibility of jail time, it is a good idea for her to get a lawyer. Many will handle this for a flat fee, and if she can't afford a lawyer she may qualify for the public defender. It is likely that a lawyer could get her into some kind of diversion or deferred prosecution program, where if she completes the program requirements the charge ends up getting dismissed, which will keep her record clean. Having a criminal conviction on her record could cause problems for her in the future so if she can get some kind of outcome that prevents the conviction, then that would be best for her. She can try to negotiate for such an outcome on her own, without a lawyer, but it is often easier for a lawyer to do it, and may be more successful.
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer