How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of income tax fraud in 1989. I was ordered

Customer Question

i was convicted of income tax fraud in 1989. I was ordered to pay restitution and placed on supervision until i paid off this debt. I also had to do 30 days in the half way house. I had to pay them weekly. The officer that was in charge of my payments were pocketing the monies. When I got out I reported it to my probation officer and they started and investigation of the officer, the idiot officer was taking and cashing my personal checks and so was caught. Anyway I finished my payments and was taken off probation. Now 27 years later they say it is no record of my payments and I owe them the restitution. what can I do, Obviously i do not have any receipts, I was put on probation because of the restitution to supervise the payments, how can they say this now, by the way I found out when I applied for an fha mortgage. They want me to pay 13000+
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help. You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Criminal Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: ok
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: no I have not contacted a lawyer,
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Have you pulled up the information on the investigation, that is the first thing you need to do, which would prove this guy was doing this. Furthermore, if they have not sought to enforce this in 20 years, you can also argue that the restitution order is now barred by the statute of limitations, since 1) they failed to enforce it within 20 years and 2) they failed to enforce it in a timely manner such that all of the evidence you could have had has now been destroyed or lost and as such causes you extreme prejudice/
You have a basis to fight them, but it would likely require an attorney if you cannot dig up the investigation proof or get them to dig up the evidence of the investigation.