How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with a shoplifting charge under $60. Do

Customer Question

Hello I was charged with a shoplifting charge under $60. Do I need an atty? I went to arraignment but continued it because I wanted representation and I do not want this on my record. I have another court date in May(24th). I know this was dumb. But I need help. No money. I did not know what to expect when I went first time. I would like to get a public defender if I can. This was in Shaker Hts. Hopefully you can help. My name is Dayana
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 26 years.Shoplifting of an item valued from .01 cent to $500 is a misdemeanor in the first degree. This is a serious offense which which carries a maximum penalty of 6 months in jail and a fine up to $1,000. Since this is a first offense, you will probably not be given jail time. However, having this on your record will not be good for future job opportunities. Another positive as a first time offender is that you will be able to apply for the sealing of your criminal record. Here is what the law says about this:(2) Any person who has been arrested for any misdemeanor offense and who has effected a bail forfeiture for the offense charged may apply to the court in which the misdemeanor criminal case was pending when bail was forfeited for the sealing of the record of the case that pertains to the charge. Except as provided in section 2953.61 of the Revised Code, the application may be filed at any time after the expiration of one year from the date on which the bail forfeiture was entered upon the minutes of the court or the journal, whichever entry occurs first.One of the deals you can try to get is pre-trial diversion. This means that you would have to follow some conditions such as paying restitution and a fine, going for counseling, etc. If you successfully complete the conditions, your case could be dismissed. Here is part of the law: (A) The prosecuting attorney may establish pre-trial diversion programs for adults who are accused of committing criminal offenses and whom the prosecuting attorney believes probably will not offend again. The prosecuting attorney may require, as a condition of an accused's participation in the program, the accused to pay a reasonable fee for supervision services that include, but are not limited to, monitoring and drug testing. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can ask the court to give you a court appointed attorney. Contact the court to ask how this is done. Usually, this is done in the courtroom on your court date.Please let me know if I can help more. I will be happy to answer more of your questions. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.