Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

In 1977 arrested and charged with Larceny got differed sentence

Customer Question
and had charges sealed....
In 1977 arrested and charged with Larceny got differed sentence and had charges sealed. Can i have firearms in state of Colorado?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/19/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Hello, Was the sentence that was deferred for a felony offense, or was the larceny a misdemeanor? If it was a misdemeanor conviction, you have never lost your gun rights and you would be able to own and use a firearm in the state of Colorado. If the matter was a felony, the sealing, unfortunately, would not be good enough. For purposes of your second amendment rights, the Federal government would see a deferred adjudication as a conviction. You would need a pardon from your governor to get your rights restored before you'd be able to pass a NICS check. Pardons are tough to get but easy to apply for and they are also free. It's also something you can do for yourself without a lawyer. I'm attaching the application here.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD