How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26757
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1977 arrested and charged with Larceny got differed sentence

Customer Question

In 1977 arrested and charged with Larceny got differed sentence and had charges sealed. Can i have firearms in state of Colorado?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Was the sentence that was deferred for a felony offense, or was the larceny a misdemeanor? If it was a misdemeanor conviction, you have never lost your gun rights and you would be able to own and use a firearm in the state of Colorado. If the matter was a felony, the sealing, unfortunately, would not be good enough. For purposes of your second amendment rights, the Federal government would see a deferred adjudication as a conviction. You would need a pardon from your governor to get your rights restored before you'd be able to pass a NICS check. Pardons are tough to get but easy to apply for and they are also free. It's also something you can do for yourself without a lawyer. I'm attaching the application here.