How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently involved in a car accident, and I do not have

Customer Question

I was recently involved in a car accident, and I do not have insurance. There was property and body damage to the other driver. Can I go to jail if I can not pay this debt?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 26 years. No, you will not go to jail for failing to pay but under Washington’s financial responsibility law, an uninsured driver is responsible for collision damages he or she causes. There is a possibility that the driver of the other vehicle will go to civil court and get a money judgment against you. This means if they win the case against you, they may be able to get a garnishment of your tax returns and paychecks until the debt is paid. Also, Washington will suspend your license if you were not insured and involved in an accident.Please let me know if I can help more. I will be happy to answer more questions. If you are satisfied with my help, I ask that you rate my service.
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
You may be able to prevent a suspension of your license by Proof that the driver or the vehicle had insurance in effect at the time of the collision.