Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My boyfriend is being charged with bank fraud aggravated identity

Customer Question
theft and possession of stolen...
my boyfriend is being charged with bank fraud aggravated identity theft and possession of stolen mail in the newspaper I read it said his facing 37years he is being charged with things found in a home which he did not live he simply was visiting me there but they do have him on camera cashing a check on Nov 2015 n he was on probation for possession of illegal substance
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/12/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Hello, What is your question?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My question is can he get out on federal probation or how much time us he facing and also he said he has no clue when his next court is why is that shouldn't he be informed
Thanks for the reply. Federal sentences are dictated by federal guidelines and involve elablorate calculations. If you give me the sections of the US code that he's charged with violating and also tell me how many prior criminal convictions he's had and whether they are misdemeanors or felonies, I can look up the guidelines and should be able to give you a ballpark estimate of his sentencing range. If you've been told he's facing a possible 37 years of Federal prison, however, the possibility of his getting a probation deal is extremely unlikely. Federal prosecutors and judges do not have the latitude for plea bargaining that the state has, because of the Federal guidelines. Yes, there should be a court date, and he should be informed as to when it is. His lawyer would know it, and the corrections officers would have access to that information as well.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD