How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26818
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hey I got caught crossing the train tracks so I got charged

Customer Question

Hey I got caught crossing the train tracks so I got charged with 2C-18-3b. I don't have a record and never been arrested... what do you think i should do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was drunk and jump onto the train tracks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, This is a disorderly person's offense in New Jersey, which your state considers something less than a crime. Because it is a criminal offense, however, and a conviction will be on your criminal history, you would want to have a lawyer when you come for your court date. There are special programs for first offenders on low level, non-violent crimes, and it's very likely that with the assistance of a lawyer, if you wanted to resolve this case without going to trial, you could get a diversion type of disposition and come out without a conviction on your record. A diversion or a deferred adjudication would mean a period of supervision, some community service and fines, but once you finish the supervision, the case against you is dismissed and you could then deny having ever had a criminal conviction.