Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I got a DUI back in 2009 with an additional charge of resisting

Customer Question

I got a DUI back in 2009 with an additional charge of resisting arrest without violence. I would like to have the resisting arrest part expunged because I am trying to get into a medical program. If it can be done, how much does something like that generally cost?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Were you convicted of the resisting arrest or was it dismissed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was convicted
Thank you for your reply.
Unless your adjudication was withheld after your conviction, FL does not allow you to obtain a sealing or expungement of your record. You would have to try to file in court to have the conviction vacated and only if the court vacates your conviction can you then apply to have it sealed and then expunged. I am afraid though that this is not something that is easily obtained in FL as the FL courts are hesitant to vacate and expunge any cases and you have to present good cause (medical school and youthful offense would indeed be good cause to argue to the judge to vacate, seal/expunge the charge). It would cost you about $1000 for a local attorney to file this and represent you on this type of case.