How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31683
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Daughter is on probation dwui that happened in January

Customer Question

My Daughter is on probation for a dwui that happened in January 2016. She followed and completed all guidelines given to her, so in November her Probation Officer told her she was done and to not get in to any trouble, she would see her in February, but she could resume normal life. When she scheduled the appointment in February she found out that she had a new probation officer and that she should not have been smoking or drinking, but she told the probation officer that she had had some edibles because her back was hurting, that was about 37 days ago, she has had 3 ua and the probation officer says there is a trace. She is suppose to out of town for her job, the probation officer says she cant go, is there anything that can be done. We live in Colorado
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. What your daughter can and cannot do depends on the terms of her probation.....which she should have. USUALLY, probation terms allow a person to travel freely within the state, but permission is required to go out of state. But, she'll need to look at her terms of probation to see what her obligations are.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
If it turns out that the terms of her probation prohibit her from going out of town without the probation officer's permission, then the only thing your daughter could do is file an emergency motion with the court and ask the judge to override the PO's authority and allow her to travel out of town for work. But, the judge must take into account what the PO says and the PO's position on the issue.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Related Criminal Law Questions