Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison

Customer Question
for felon in possession of...
My son was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for felon in possession of a firearm. He had prior drug convictions and residential burglary (in my home when we were gone and he was high on drugs and took money). Based upon Johnson vs. United States, would he be eligible for sentence reduction? He has no violent felonies except for the burglary of my home, but no personal violence upon a person occurred.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 day by:
4/7/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he was sentenced for the 10 years for being a felon in possession of the firearm and not the mandatory minimum 15 year sentence for the violation of the Johnson case does not affect this sentence. The Johnson case was specific to the enhancement penalties under the armed career criminal act, not for punishment for being a felon and in possession of a firearm.