How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27766
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

No contact order JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

No contact order
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My husband was paroled in Kansas for a case not involving me , before he was released he was released to a detaineeNebraska Oops hold on He was released to a detainee in Nebraska one of the charges was a domestic violence case involving me and it was dismissed now his parole officer in Kansas says he can't live with me because of that How can they use a case against him that was dismissed
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm sorry to say that Parole can do this, and in fact they do it all the time. The US Supreme Court has said that there is no fundamental right to be paroled. So Parole can set the conditions of your husband's release, and the parolee must abide by them. They make an assessment of a parolee by looking at many different factors, and they determine the potential parolee's risk to the community and the likelihood that he will reoffend. Even though your husband was not convicted of domestic violence, he were arrested for it and charged. So they see him living with you as a potential trigger that would cause him to get in trouble with the law agaiin. Parole also knows that many times a complaining witness on a domestic offense drops charges out of fear of her partner or for some other reason. In short, the case having been dismissed doesn't mean the violence wasn't committed. Parole can't be arbitrary about something like this and impose a condition just because they have the power to. If your husband wishes to challenge it, he can take that up with the Parole Board or get his lawyer to bring the matter back before the judge to try to overrule Parole. Judges do not generally interfere with Parole rulings, but they can and do to prevent an injustice. Meanwhile, however, he'll be expected to reside somewhere Parole approves of, which, for now at least, is not with you.