Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My 22 year old son was on spring break in Atlantic City. He

Customer Question
was cited with 'simple assault'...
My 22 year old son was on spring break in Atlantic City. He was cited with 'simple assault' against a bouncer at a club. He was not arrested but issued a summons to appear in a NJ court on Apr 11. He goes to school in Virginia. Is there a way for him NOT to appear in person and pay a fine?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/28/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. If she was issued a ticket, then it depends on the local Court. He will have to call the Court and inquire whether or not appearance is mandatory of if he can simply send in the fine to end the case.

NOTE that sending in the fine means pleading guilty. A simple assault is a petty disorderly persons offense, and it would then show up on his record later on. Ergo, it may be best to fight the charge by showing up instead, and pleading NOT GUILTY.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law