How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27747
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** I received a PI in Oklahoma on friday

Customer Question

hello my name is ***** ***** I received a PI in Oklahoma on friday night I am an active duty officer, with nothing currently on my record (not even a ticket). I believe that the charge and arrest were made because I am TDY to a little city in Oklahoma and am not part of the Good Ole boys club here. The police report states that I was slurring my speech, had red eyes, and could hardly stand. I have three eye witness accounts (A third party Dr. who was there, and two of my buddies) that state that they thought i was fine and that i was handling myself in a very professional, non-threatening manner.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We were told that we had to leave a bar here after about 2 hours of attending. While walking out of the bar the bouncers began to get aggressive and started pushing me around. I turned around and asked why we were being forced to leave the establishment. They never responded. When we were outside the bar the bouncers still refused to tell us why we were being forced out and kept stating things like "we gave you multiple chances." I began to once again ask why and what chances they were talking about. At this point one called the police.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cops arrived in less than 5 minutes and proceeded to ask me to leave. I told them i would leave with no issues if someone could make sure my friends cards were recovered and if they could please tell us why we had been kicked out. I continued to get no response but noted that the cops were getting aggravated. So i got up and left. It was at this time that I realized our plan was to get a cab to take us back home. I turned around to ask if I could get the number to the local cab service (again not from around here) and before the words could even come out of my mouth I was told to turn around and place my hands behind my back. At this point I asked the officer to check my BAC and he said no. He put me in his cruiser and took me down to the sheriffs office. I was placed in a cell for approximately 7 hours and during that time i asked one of the sheriffs deputies if i could make my phone calls. He said that was fine removed me from my cell and gave me a phone. I didn't know any of my leaderships number so I asked if he could grab my wallet with my CCs number. He went to look for it and could not find any of my stuff (it was given to my buddies when they tried to plead with the sheriffs deputies). So I did not make a call but when he was placing me in my cell he told me that i "was too sober to be in here...and he thought the situation was probably escalated to this level because i was military." At this point I once again asked to get my BAC tested and he said no. The next morning I woke up, felt great, and was released to my first shirt.
Big picture...I am trying to see if a case like this would have a possibility of getting dropped/dismissed, how would be the best way for me to have this not ruin my record, and how, if I fight this charge, the state/county proves that I was in fact Publicly Intoxicated?
The hardest and most aggravating thing about this is that I will be leaving by the end of the week. Could this possibly be resolved by the end of the week?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


This offense is a misdemeanor in Oklahoma. The best way of getting this dismissed or reduced to something that won't give you a criminal record quickly and efficiently would be to retain a criminal lawyer immediately and let him negotiate something with the prosecutor before you even have to go to court. If the DA doesn't agree to drop this, you're not going to resolve it by the end of the week, which is another reason you'll need a lawyer -- to prevent a warrant from issuing for your arrest when you leave on active duty. He may need more time, but ultimately he should be able to keep this charge off your record.

If you want to go to trial on this matter, you could be coming back to court for months if not longer. And even without the BAC, the officer will testify to physical signs of intoxication and to behavior that caused the bar to ask you to leave.