Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
90630425

What do I do about reporting other forgery complaints such

Customer Question

What do I do about reporting other forgery complaints such as real estate documents and embezzlement?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting me for this question!

May I ask, when did this possible forgery occur? (as this will play an important role which I will describe after you have answered).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over the last 2 years and as recent as 1 month ago.
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the reason I ask is because certain criminal actions cannot be prosecuted after a certain time. This is called the Statute of Limitations. Because this is a crime involving Fraud, the Statute of Limitations is 4 years from when the fraudulent activity occurred, or 4 years from when it was first discovered, whichever is later.

Because these actions have occurred within the past 4 years, you do not need to worry about the Statute of Limitations.

Because the allegations constitute a state criminal offense, the state has the authority and jurisdiction to investigate and file any charges that need to be brought as a result. Specifically, it will be the local police department where the fraud occurred (so for instance, if the fraud occurred in Town or City X, Town or City X Police Department would be the proper authority to report the criminal activity).

It is as simple as contacting the police department (or calling them) and asking to file a police report for the activity. The police will then speak to you in-depth about the activity (when it occurred, who committed it, how it occurred, how you found out about it, etc). After that, if the police think a crime has been committed, they will attempt to speak to the individual suspected of the offense. They will also attempt to obtain any document that may have been forged through the legal subpoena process and further inquire into those documents.

If, after the conclusion of their investigation, the police department think a criminal action occurred, they will refer the matter to the local District Attorney's Office. The DA's Office will then look into the matter as well and, should they reach the conclusion that there is probable cause that this person committed forgery (or any related offense), they will file charges or seek charges from a Grand Jury. This will then begin the criminal prosecution process.

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.

Happy Easter:

I hope the weekend is treating you well. I see you have read my last posting. If you have any follow up questions, please let me know I and I would be happy to assist further.

If not, please remember to click ACCEPT and rate my assistance if I have been helpful in this regard! Thanks!

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.

Good morning:

It has been a few days since the last posting. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. If not, please remember to click ACCEPT and rate the assistance provided. Thanks again!

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.

Hello:

I see you have read my last post. Please do not forget to click ACCEPT and rate my assistance if you have no other questions. Thank you.