How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26815
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** Lavery and I have a bench warrant in

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** Lavery and I have a bench warrant in North Dakota. I actually like 16 hours away from North Dakota and have no means or transportation back there. I was wondering if I could get an attorney to represent me and get it quashed.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I got pulled over for driving in a suspended license. That's what the court date was for but was unable to make it due to the fact I don't have a license
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Typically, except under highly unusual circumstances, in order to get a warrant lifted, one must actually appear in front of the judge who issued it and be prepared to go forward with and resolve his case. In my experience, I have only seen a judge lift the warrant without the defendant very rarely.

A judge has the power to do this, and it's possible a lawyer may be able to get a judge to accommodate him, but even assuming the warrant is quashed there remains the matter of the open case, for which it's likely you will ultimately have to appear to resolve. If you can't do that, another warrant would issue for your failure to appear.

All you can do is confer with a North Dakota lawyer, explain all of the circumstances of the case and of your dilemma and let him tell you how much of this matter he believes he will be able to handle without you.

The terms of service prevent us from representing customers on their actual cases and from making direct referrals to specific lawyers and law firms. We can, however, steer you to the same sources that lawyers themselves use when they must consult with a lawyer in another state or specialty and don't know anyone personally.

One such source would be the North Dakota State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a small fee of around $50 for the referral which includes a free half hour consultation with the lawyer, which you can have over the phone, so that you don't have to travel there to meet the lawyer.

Another would be They are a commercial referral service. Many of their lawyers are peer and client rated which can help you to narrow down your choices.