How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is on parole and is set to get off next year. But

Customer Question

My husband is on parole and is set to get off next year. But I won a cruise to the Bahamas and wanted to know if he would be able to travel with me.
JA: OK. The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: He is on parole in Texas for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, he served 10 years in prison and was put on parole for the remaining 15 years of his sentence. He has not gotten into any trouble since being out, and like I stated next year in March he will be done with parole. The cruise leaves in July and is for 7 days to the bahamas
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: He doesn't have a passport, but I also wanted to know is he able to get one even though on parole
JA: Our top Criminal Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Criminal Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Criminal Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 26 years. Can you please tell me the following?

1) Does he see his Parole officer on a regular basis? If so, how is that relationship?

2) Does his Parole conditions include staying away from bars, gambling casinos?

3) Has he ever been allowed to travel out of the country before?

4) Can you tell me what county in Texas holds his parole?

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Give me a short time, there may be a way you can request permission.

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago. I found this Texas Parole Policy memo which answers your question. You need the permission of your husbands parole officer to make such a trip. This is why I asked about your husband's relationship with the parole officer.


A. Out-of-country travel is to locations that are not signatories of the Interstate Probation and Parole Compact. States and territories belonging to the Compact are the 49 United States, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Guam. Massachusetts is the only state that has not signed the Interstate Compact Agreement. 9/02/05 PD/POP-3.1.5 Page 3 of 3

B. Travel by offenders to locations beyond the jurisdiction and control of the Compact requires the approval of the Board of Pardons and Paroles (Board). Offenders wishing to request out of country travel must meet the criteria as stated in II.A.1. To request Board approval to allow a Texas offender to travel out-of-country, the field officer shall submit an E-transmittal in OIMS containing specific reason(s) for travel, dates of departure and return, mode of travel and destination address. Parole Officers shall staff with their supervisors and run a criminal history check prior to submitting the request.

If the Parole Officer does not grant permission, is it possible for you to postpone the trip until when your husband is released?

Please let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help you more. If you are satisfied with my assistance, please rate my service.