How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26863
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just found out that daughter is living with and wants to

Customer Question

just found out that daughter is living with and wants to marry a man that is a fugitive from another state arrested for aggravated assault. Aside from all the personal issues, what are the legal obligations and issues she may confront. This criminal arrest about 10 yrs ago.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any liability for not turning him in
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


In what state is she living with him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay but I turned off my computer for the night right before your reply came through.

While your daughter is not required to turn in her boyfriend if she knows there is a warrant from another state out there and she takes affirmative steps to harbor and hide him shc can be charged criminally for obstructing justice, for aiding an abetting a fugitive, or as an accessory after the fact. This can be a potentially serious crime for her, depending upon what he's wanted for.

If he has a misdemeanor warrant, for example, the DA may not be interested in prosecuting her. If on the other hand, he has a serious violent felony, she could face years in prison as an accessory after the fact..