How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27222
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just found out I have a 16 year old warrant a bad

Customer Question

I have just found out I have a 16 year old warrant for writing a bad check in 2000? What is the statue of limitations and what should I do to lift this warrant. Please help me; my Father has just died and need to go to his funeral.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The statute of limitation is the time in which the State has to charge you. If they issued the warrant for your arrest, then the time would be tolled, as a result of their attempt to find you, charge you and have you arraigned. With that being said, you would want to file a motion to vacate the warrant and reset the court hearing. In the body of the motion, you want to explain to the Judge how you just found out about this, how you were unaware that one was ever issued and that you want to appear and be heard and address this, now that it was brought to your attention and ask that the court date be reset, so you can appear. This way, you do not have to turn yourself in and bond out and could likely just appear in court to resolve this

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Criminal Law Questions