How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PhillipsEsq Your Own Question
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 19117
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
PhillipsEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I didn't report self employment income to the welfare

Customer Question

Hi, I didn't report self employment income to the welfare department, in which I was only receiving welfare for my son. My income was quite small, and I didn't think I had to report it since I used my school financial aid money. This happened in 2014 and I just got a letter saying they want my tax return for that year
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What do you need to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


What's your question regarding this situation?

You're between a rock and a hard place. Welfare wants to verify your income for that year. If you don't provide it, they are not going to go away. They will continue to investigate you and draw conclusions based on what they may already suspect.

If, on the other hand you do provide your tax returns, there are potential problems there as well. Did you report your self employment income to the IRS? How small of a self-employment income is "quite small?"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I erroneously included my financial aid for school in my income, reducing it to just under $5,000. Welfare would like me to sign an affidavit and I don't know what to do. I experienced a rough 2014, domestic violence, roll over car accident and being in therapy and seeing a psychiatrist. I did report my employment income to the IRS but there are also mistakes on my tax return as well as I claimed my financial aid which is not considered income
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know what I should state on my affidavit, since I'm required to sign one - and what are the possible repercussions here? What is the next step?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

The possible repercussion is that the government won't see this as a mistake and that you could be charged with welfare fraud. You need a local welfare fraud lawyer to assist you with the affidavit. You don't want to compound the problem by swearing to anything false. At the same time you don't want to make unnecessary admissions.

I'm going to opt out of this question because there's a tax issue here too and it's somewhat out of my ballpark. It's not yet and hopefully won't be a criminal law issue. Another lawyer will pick this up and you'll get an email when that happens.

No need to respond to me as that will lock the question, and no need for you to rate my service since I've not been able to provide you with a full answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My affidavit is due on Monday, tomorrow, and so is the tax return. What shall I do?
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 1 year ago.

A different Professional here.

I concur with the information already provided to you by my colleague. However, I will add one thing: you need to get a tax preparer or CPA to amend your tax return to reflect the correct income. Then submit the amended return to the welfare department.

Related Criminal Law Questions