Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Went over state line got out of prison Feb 23rd, 2015 on

Customer Question

Went over state line got out of prison Feb 23rd, 2015 on parole for one year, while in Texas caught a charge there for a dime of meth, Arizona is coming to get me March 31,2016 my flat sentence is April 22, 2016 I would like to know what he's facing if I should retain a lawyer for him.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he was caught in Texas for meth possession with a dime, that is a felony punishable by up to 2 years in prison and Texas takes that type of charge seriously as they have a major meth problem in Texas. So in addition to the 2 years in Texas, he would be returned to AZ to serve out whatever time he had remaining on his original sentence in AZ as they will revoke his parole.
So, you will need to get him an attorney in Texas to arrange some deal with them regarding the new charge in Texas, because as far as the parole violation, he is going back to prison to serve the remainder of his whole sentence (without credit for the time he spent out on parole already).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did his time in Texas 9 months,that ends march 31, 2016 then I guess Arizona will go get him, he had a jurisdiction hold on him from Arizona for the 9 months he did in Texas, dose any of that time count In Arizona I'm just trying to figure out how much time he will have to serve when he gets back to AZ. Thank You
Thank you for your reply.
The judge in AZ has discretion regarding giving him credit for time served in Texas, but typically, because the offense was in another state the AZ court will not give him credit for that time.