How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118201
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our son is a registered sex offender residing in Kansas. He

Customer Question

Our son is a registered sex offender residing in Kansas. He is still onparole. He meet a young lady who has childen and reported this to his parole officer. He did not go around the children, however on one occasion he asked his parole officer to go with his girlfriend and children to a special family functio and he was given permission to go. The PO now denied giving him permission. He noe has a new PO and he is being told he can be in any contact with his girlfriend in any form. They live in a small town and they ran into each other at the local store. Our sonleft right away and notied his PO. He is being told they willput him back in prison if this happens again. None of this seems logical. Thank you for any help you can give us.
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No we are in Idaho and donot know who to contact for help.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: Not sure. Will say he is trying so hard to comply with everything and is terrified to go anywhere.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been on parole for 1 1/2 yrs and has been complying with all rules. Him and his girlfriend are terrified that they will accidentally run into eachother since the town is so small. We understand that he can not be around children based on his case but do not understand why they as adults can not have contact. His PO stated they feel he is trying to groom her???? And even told her they wanted a copy of her military medical records. She of course said no to them. She has never been in trouble from the law. And our son was railroaded on his conviction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It may be easier to talk by phone if you wish. My phone number is(###) ###-#### Name is Elfie
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Being on parole in general is pretty much no different than being in prison in the fact that the person has to follow the rules and the parole officer can make the rules and the parolee has very few if any rights legally. For sex offenders it is even worse because on top of the parole rules, there are very harsh sex offender rules as well that seem almost unreasonable, but are the law nonetheless.
First off, while the Parole officer has jurisdiction over your son, if your son is in a place and the girlfriend shows up unknown to him then your son's actions of leaving as you described above would be the proper actions and no court or parole board would uphold a revocation over a chance meeting, especially in a small town and where your son left immediately.
Second, the parole officer CAN make him not see her or be around her or the children, that is within the parole officer's power, so while he is on parole he has to abide by the parole officer's requests even though the prior parole officer allowed it, the new one can still refuse to allow it.
Your son is just beginning to see the problems sex offenders have way beyond even other convicted felons. If this is a small town, your son needs to consider seeking permission to move to a town where he is not known, because in small towns it is even worse for sex offenders as everyone talks. Legally, the PO has all of the rights as long as your son is on parole, so your son has to follow whatever the PO says even if he believes it is unreasonable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.