Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  17 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

We are building on a piece of property in Oregon. The former

Customer Question

We are building on a piece of property in Oregon. The former owner (who has 20 convictions on his record) and a tenant to the north (who also has a record) have trespassed repeatedly on our property, used a us ice language to the builder crew and vandalized. A call to the sheriff's office got me nowhere. The sheriff refuses to even talk to the two people.
He says it's free speech. I said trespassing and vandalism is not free speech but crimes. He suggested I get a lawyer. What kind of lawyer do I get ? The ones that advertise are all for personal injury or DUII .
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

It sounds like the sheriff is simply being lazy and not doing his job. I would suggest first talking to any local District Attorney about the situation to see if they would intervene with a private criminal complaint against them if they are trespassing and damaging your property.

.

If that doesn't work you can file a formal civil action against them for trespass and damage to property and also seek a restraining order to keep them off your property. Once that is in place, if they violate it, it is a criminal violation of a restraining order and the sheriff can't ignore it.

.

You would need a local property law attorney with litigation experience or even a general civil litigation attorney.

.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need foreign counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews.

.

.

thanks