Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My daughter was arrested in TX. in Aug of 2015 a domestic

Customer Question
violence charge, but received a...
My daughter was arrested in TX. in Aug of 2015 a domestic violence charge, but received a letter stating that charges had been dropped. She moved shortly after in Oct. to VA. , and has been arrested there on DUI charges with her child in the car , a felony. They found she had a warrant in TXūüźī, and will not release her on bond . Is there a way to get the warrant lifted in TX. so she can get out on bond and care for her 7 year old daughter ?. Do you need. Special type lawyer to fight for you, and what state would you get that lawyer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Do you know what the warrant in Texas is for?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Domestic violence
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her husband now

Is it a misdemeanor or a felony? Normally that's a misdemeanor charge but it can be a felony under the right situation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Misdemeanor , they thought it was dropped

Usually you have to be arrested and then bond out to handle a warrant but since this is in a different state it isn't likely they are going to extradite her to Texas from VA. Her best to to get released is to hire a lawyer in Texas in the same city in which the warrant was issued and then get the lawyer to handle getting the warrant withdrawn or a bond issued.

Once she has a Texas lawyer then the local judge and DA will be more likely to work with her to get released but she is going to have to appear in Texas at some point to get it handled.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does she need an extradition lawyer

Not yet. She may have to get one in VA at some point but she will still need a Texas lawyer and if she can avoid them trying to extradite her then that is better.

If they extradite her then she is responsible for all the costs which are usually pretty expensive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She needs a criminal defense lawyer in TX. City to lift warrant so VA will release her on bond ?

Yes, basically.

She still has to have someone in VA as well to handle the VA charges

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Basically ? I posted bail today, they wouldn't release her pending warrant in TX ?

It doesn't have to be a criminal defense lawyer in Texas but that is best. Also, it may be that the lawyer can't get the "warrant lifted" but they may be able to make arrangements for her to make bond from VA for the Texas warrant so technically it isn't what you stated but it basically works the same.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can a lawyer get the bond lifted promptly ? The TX warrant

That depends on a lot of factors. Which judge it is in front of, if the judge is there, if the judge will even allow it, if the DA will agree to it, etc.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I'll get lawyers both places. Do you have any other advice ?

No, other than just making sure she doesn't miss any dates in Texas because if she does then if she gets arrested in another state they will almost certainly extradite her but they will yank her around and make her sit in jail for 60 days or so before she will even be eligible for bond.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, thank you

Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Even after you issue the rating you can come back for follow ups if you have them. Issuing the rating just ensures that 1) I receive credit and 2) the question doesn't time out and close.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer