Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

A friend of mine was arrested theft last night in a state he

Customer Question

A friend of mine was arrested for petty theft last night in a state he does not reside in. He lives in Puerto Rico. Will he have to stay in the state that the offense occurred until the court date? Also, we are supposed to go to Jamaica in April. Will he be able to go?
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I don't believe so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will help you with your questions today. I have been an attorney for 26 years. Can you tell me what state your friend lives in? Also, did your friend appear before the court in Puerto Rico yet? Was he given a court date to return? Does your friend have any felony convictions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened last night in Idaho, but lives in San Juan. He is in Idaho visiting family until March 20th. All that has happened is that he posted bail, and no court date as of yet. He has no felony convictions. Thank you!

There should have been a court date set. I would have him contact the clerk of the court in Idaho to check. Also, does the court know he lives in Puerto Rico?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He didn't tell me about a court date. I will have to ask him. I don't know if they know where he lives.

If he does not go to the court date, a Bench Warrant will be issued for his arrest. If he leaves, he should get an attorney to go for him so this does not happen. If a warrant is issued, this warrant may show up on your trip to Jamaica and he can be detained at the airport.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has court on the 28th of this month

So, he has to go or a Bench Warrant will be issued. He could contact an attorney and see if the attorney could go for him and take care of the matter. Do you want me to give you a resource for him to find an attorney in Idaho?

I need to know your county in Idaho to help with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shohone, Id

http://isb.idaho.gov/member_services/lrs/lrs_results.cfm?IDACODE=CRM503&IDCITY=Kellogg Here is a link to the Idaho Bar Association lawyer referral page. Attorneys in this service offer a $35 consultation fee to discuss the case. If you don't want to hire the attorney after this consultation you don't have to. I do recommend that your friend have an attorney and try to resolve this before he leaves for Puerto Rico. Please let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help. If you are satisfied with my services, I ask that you rate my service.