How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was cited in Maui in public and under age

Customer Question

my daughter was cited in Maui for drinking in public and under age drinking. she lives in california. does she have to make the appearance?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

In short, no. However, she does need to have an attorney represent her at the hearing and be ready to pay the fine for this offense on her behalf. If she is over the age of 18, she will need to have a power of attorney signed (she can have it emailed to her, sign it, have it notarized, scan and email back - mail the original).

So, while she does need to have an attorney be there in her absence, she does not have to be there in person. If you guys just want to pay the fine, then you should contact the court clerk. Some judges will allow the person cited to pay the fine and avoid going to court. Other judges want to make a larger deal out of this and require some form of court appearance (even if it means an attorney in her place).

As such, contact the court clerk in the court in which this issue is on file and see if you guys can just pay the fine and be done with it. That would alleviate the necessity for an attorney altogether as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (Three or More Stars) so I can receive credit for my response - I will receive no credit otherwise.

Best wishes going forward!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in this morning to see if you had any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward on this issue. Thanks