Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was charged in 2006 for theft under $5000 my lawyer said…

Customer Question
I was charged...
I was charged in 2006 for theft under $5000 my lawyer said it was directed to the aduld diversion program I come to find out ther is a warrant for my arrest
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2016
Criminal Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago
retireddebra

Did you complete the program and then have the charges withdrawn?

I am not following as to why there would be an arrest warrant for you?

I paid back the restitution i was ordered to pay, I had a house fire several years ago and lost all my documents..i have never received any documentation stating that it was cleared up but yet again I moved several times during those years, but its been 10 years I'm not sure what is going on still waiting on the police to call me back..they were going to look at my file
Someone received my payments I made, it's been 10 years I honestly don't remember to whom i made them too..and why wait 10 years to put out a warrant none of this makes any sense..I contacted the lawyer that represented me back then by email..just waiting on a response..
I just called the local police back they are still looking for my file i was told to call back in the morning...you think it would be on file somewhere..
Criminal Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago

The way this was supposed to work is that you would have had a deadline for making the restitution and once you did your lawyer would have gone to court with you and the crown would have withdrawn the charges.

If that didn't happen then it may be that a warrant was issued.

Your lawyer has to have a record in his/her file about what happened and if you never went back to court your lawyer will know this and know why.

This should be cleared up easily if there is a warrant as you did what you were supposed to do and there may have been some error.

But also, over the 10 years I am sure you would have heard if there was a warrant for you at some point.