How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26838
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way or a lawyer yo obtain information on any

Customer Question

Is there a way for me or a lawyer yo obtain information on any search warrants that were issued and then not executed and returned to the judge who issued said warrant "Nothing was Found"? It happened 10 years ago and I am not looking for retribution.
JA: I'm here. My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I got a bad cop fired. I then moved from that county and bought a home free and clear in the next county. They knew my relative has some marijuana. They obtained the search warrants and I figured it out and told the local sheriff i knew so he backed down. No problem now for ten years. I have never been arrested and will turn 55 soon. I was hoping to obtain proof of such warrant being issued even though I do not know which judge it was.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Criminal Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Unfortunately no. If a search warrant was part of an investigation that did not lead to an arrest and charges, there would be no publicly accessible record of that. There might be a record siting somewhere in a closed case file at a police station, and you could ask to see it, but they wouldn't have to turn it over to you. As the warrant wasn't even issued against you, you wouldn't even have the standing legally to obtain it from the police, except with a court order if it were necessary or relevant for a case you were litigating.

About the only thing you could do would be to make a request for the information under the Freedom of Information Act. If you tell me what US state you're talking about I could give you some information on your state's FOIA procedures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Here's a link to information on Florida's Sunshine Law. It contains a link to a template that you can use to make your own request for public records from any state agencies.